Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I guess I will take my turn!

Today was a great day! The group that met with Theo yesterday went on student verification visits today, and those of us that did that yesterday met with Theo today. We also went to a school, what a stark contrast compared to the school we came from. The walls are bare, there is no colors, no maps, no computers, no internet, no books (text books or reading books) and lots of kids. I was in a class 4. They were learning about maps, but without a map in the classroom. There were forty kids, the teacher really did have a great relationship with his students, but there are just so many of them. The school was run by Mama Tesha as Taryn had said yesterday, I am guessing she gave background information about the school, so I am not going to do that again.
We also discussed with Theo (the head mistress at PHF) the downfalls of Tanzanian education. The huge positive though is there are teachers who are hungry to learn, so
hopefully
we will be able to give them things they can take back with them, and if not implement them, at least start thinking about different ways to teacher their students. They mainly use lectures now, the teacher talks and the students copy! It was interesting, though, because as much as we talked about areas of improvement they can make, it also made us much more aware of our shortcomings in the US in education! So much for us to learn from each other! I am excited to see what the rest of this experience has in store for us!
Jill

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill good to read postings but it has been 2 days since anyone wtote. Hope all is going good. We love to read postings

Anonymous said...

Ok that was Mom I guess I am not very good at this posting.

Love from Minnesota
Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi again
I am trying to figure this out. I want this to show as a comment, so you know to look. We are trying to get organized to go to the lake for a week. Sure will be nice to be on vacation. Wish you could join us. Can't wait to hear of all your experiences and see pics when you get back.

Love
Mom and Dad